Campus Ecology Research
Current Research Projects
EEON - The Evergreen Ecological Observation Network - A campus-based long-term ecological research program for forests, streams, and wildlife
Long-term Ecological Research At the Evergreen State College; Merging curriculum and ecological research for the 21st century
This project is a long-term research effort involving students and faculty tracking changes in lowland Puget sound ecosystems and the Evergreen State College forests over time. Our efforts are centered on 51 long-term monitoring plots where we are tracking development, growth, and decay of trees, snags, sub-canopy vegetation, and down-woody debris. These data allow us to have a quantitative baseline estimate for carbon stocks and forest structure in our lowland Puget Sound forests, as well as develop and ask interesting questions related to forest structure and diversity. Over time, these data will allow us to address how forests change, and how climate change is affecting ecosystems. We have recently joined with the canopy lab to work to establish a network of long-term canopy research sites along with our existing permanent plot network.Arbotetum
A Floristic Study of The Evergreen State College Campus, Sam Lohmann (2006).
This paper lists the vascular plants that occur on the campus of The Evergreen State College (TESC), and describes the nine principal plant communities of the campus. It is based on the author's field observations and collections during Spring Quarter of 2006, and also on the specimens housed in the TESC herbarium, collected by numerous workers since the mid-1970s.
Recolonization of bigleaf maple branches by epiphytic bryophytes following experimental disturbance; Alexander R. Cobb, Nalini M. Nadkarni, Grant A. Ramsey, and Abraham J. Svoboda; Canadian Journal of Botany, Vol 79, pp. 1-8 (2001).
Abstract: The dynamics of epiphytic bryophyte communities following natural and human disturbance have rarely been quantified. We describe the response of bryophyte communities on bigleaf maple trees (Acer macrophyllum Pursh) in Olympia, Washington, following their experimental removal. Approximately 8% of the exposed area was recolonized by bryophytes 1 year after clearing, and 27% after 3 years. Lateral encroachment from bryophytes on the sides of the 20-cm-long plots accounted for 75% of this recolonization, with growth from residual plant parts or aerially dispersed diaspores accounting for the remaining 25%. Though it was not possible to distinguish between the latter two sources of cover, the number of clear de novo colonization events over the course of the year was low (0.18 dm-2). Disturbance appeared to reduce bryophyte diversity at this successional stage, as alpha and gamma diversity remained low after 1 year and had not recovered after 3 years. Reflecting the preponderance of lateral encroachment as the mechanism for recolonization, disturbance size may significantly affect the time needed to recolonize disturbed branch substrates. In addition to contributing to ecologists' understanding of processes of succession, these experiments may help to develop sustainable practices for moss-harvesting in the Pacific Northwest.
A Preliminary Floristics Study of Glacial Heritage Preserve, Thurston County, Washington; Anna Constance, Vinson Doyle, Cody Hinchliff, Rebecca Sheedy - The Evergreen State College (2002?).
Abstract: A preliminary species list of 109 vascular plants was compiled for Glacial Heritage Preserve, a 459 hectare site in the South Puget Sound lowlands within Thurston County, Washington. Several different vegetation types occur here. Lowland prairie communities of varying qualities occupy much of the area.Riparian shrubland forms a wide strip along the Black River. A narrow band of oak woodland lies between the shrubland and the prairie. Along the southern border and in the northern periphery of the site lies coniferous forest. The exotic weed Cytisus scoparius as well as various conifer species are in the process of invading the prairie. Glacial Heritage Preserve is a small fragment of prairie that once extended over much of western Washingtonâ€™s lowlands; therefore, it is important to conserve this area. The Nature Conservancy is using several techniques to control C. scoparius populations and it is recommended to burn 100 acres/year in order to maintain the integrity of the prairie.